MANKATO — A proposal to build 24 townhome units along Sibley Parkway advanced Monday.
The City Council approved a developer’s request to put more units on the site than had been previously allowed. The previous unit limit was 22.
The change reflects a slight difference between the townhome proposal and the city’s original plans to redevelop the Sibley Parkway area.
Community Development Director Paul Vogel said the original plan was that this 3-acre parcel, south of Sibley Parkway, would have a lower density than the area north of the road.
A 2007 plan said the area would “blend into the existing traditional neighborhood design” found nearby.
In addition to the general plans for this district, the city proposed in late 2009 to develop the parcel itself. The plan was to buy the parcel for $283,367 and build 15 single-family homes. But the City Council nixed the plan at the time, in part because councilors were concerned there wouldn’t be enough demand to sell the houses.
The project applicant had a June meeting with homeowners and Councilman Jack Considine.
“They pretty much universally said they didn’t care about a difference of two units,” Considine said, referring to the 24-unit plans compared with the previous 22-unit limit.
The city’s planning commission approved the change at its August meeting, with the condition that rules about occupancy and the rule limiting rentals to 25 percent would still apply here.